Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Jazz


D Jazz(Final) from Susan Aull on Vimeo.


12 comments:

  1. This is really well edited and put together. I wish I had more feedback to give you, but I don't. It's pretty solid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a great piece of history which I never knew anything about, and the way the old footage is put together works really well. If I had any suggestions, it would probably be to have more modern footage to see what it's like today, instead of using the Google maps. Other than that, it's a good short piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above. It has a very PBS type feel to it in that it is made and thought out that well.

    I think the google map satellite image near the beginning could go away. It's a bit awkward. Where as I like the inclusion of the other map but the zoom in is a little too fast. In fact if you could get a better image of a nicer map that said Charleston in cursive or something. Know what I'm talking about? Anyway I think that would result in a more polished intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.cartographersguild.com/members/rjbeals-albums-my+maps-picture30346-charleston-sc-made-greatercharleston-com-highlighting-counties-regions-area.jpg

      A map like this maybe?

      Delete
  4. Well done with the editing! The content is very informational and I do agree it does have a PBS type feel but that's a good thing. Incorporating the past and present in this film gives the audience a better understanding of the content. Maybe with the audio have the narrator's voice a little bit louder over the jazz music but that's just me. Other than that good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the editing in this was good. I like the way it was put together, i agree take out the google maps. other than that its really good i dont think anything else should be changed. on the last slide though where it says the band "ceased to exit", maybe it should be cease to exist?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were you I would use my own cuts and the voice is kind of monotone. I kind of got bored through it alot and black and white was used too. The transitions are very nice though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good use of MIRC footage but like Charlton said, I would use more cuts just to break it up a bit more. The interview was very good though. I love old jazz so this was pretty cool. Great information, good and fitting titles. I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the use of the archival footage as well. I really appreciate how this film tells a story of a certain aspect of history that is unknown to many of us. I think this is the most educational piece we've seen in the class so far! I really enjoyed this. The way you used so many different pieces of found footage to create a story was great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the images, editting, as well as the MIRC footage. the sound levels are good and appropriate, at least in my opinion. your "narrative" was detailed and informative. overall, your documentary is well made! The only thing I wanted to point out was the ending became a little drawn out with just images and music, but even then it gets the message/theme across

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting subject but the presentation was a bit bland. Great use of archive footage. Also, the narration states the success of orphans then it is re-stated by text before the slideshow is shown. Don't do that. Just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The old footage made this much more educational and created a stronger over all impact. It really did improve the over all quality of the documentary

    ReplyDelete