Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thanksgiving - Middleton

Hey guys!

For my Thanksgiving film at this point all I have done is taken my favorite moments from what I shot and put them together. The footage is chronological in order. Obviously you will notice my film is 12 minutes long so I know I need to loose at least two minutes if not more. I am hoping you guys will let me know where the lulls are and what I could loose. Also do any of you have suggestions for a way I could work in some music maybe in the intro? Does it need music? Also let me know where you find yourself not understanding what people say. I plan to incorporate captions for those moments. I of course know what is being said so really need that feedback! Link below :) Also when compressing the video it got warped a bit. Apologies! Won't have that issue in the final.

Thanks so much!

Katie

Another thing I would love any advice on correcting some of my shots that are blown out a bit. In the compressed video I see now they are pretty bright.




Thanksgiving Rough Cut from Katie Middleton on Vimeo.

10 comments:

  1. Katie! First off, I cracked up throughout the video! Love it. Your nephews are so cute too. I'm just going to list my comments to make it easier.

    Some of the parts that could be fixed:
    - When you talk about your finished cupcakes (~3:47) bump up the audio of your voice over the parts where you can see your face. The audio in this part doesn't match the audio of your voice preceding this scene. Then the camera transitions to the cupcakes, and you can't see your face. At that moment, you could either do the same with the audio and bump it up on the program you've used to edit; or you could easily rerecord some of it using a zoom recorder...which is super easy since it's you talking right there. You could also trim some of that up as well. That'll make it look nicer, and you could lose some of the time you were hoping to lose to shorten the overall video.
    - Hard to hear in 5:18
    - Suggestion? At 5:30, the brightness has gone down, and it looks better. If you can't find a way to fix the brightness, maybe take some of the audio from what your mom was saying while she pulled out the table extension (will need to be bumped up as well) and use that, *possibly* with what you said as well, with the footage at 5:30. That'll also trim that scene and the whole documentary down as well.
    - Hard to hear in 5:37, next scene
    - At 5:52, you could probably even trim up that scene, take out the audio, and replace it with some music. You're showing the food being laid out, and that's what most people associate with Thanksgiving. Actually, scratch that. 6:52 is a lot better for that, so you could potentially scrap 5:52...people will know that everything's been laid out and what's been done at 5:52, they'll see the product of that in 6:52, so it's not necessary to show it.
    - I love the comment "chicken nuggets - for the little people!"
    - 8:03 it goes to black and does something weird? lol. Another spot you can trim out
    - It comes back at 8:10, so take the audio of your voice from the blackout and put it with the dessert video footage.
    - 8:22...KEEEEP IT! But take out your response about putting it in the documentary.
    - Lose 8:27 to 8:38
    - Keep 8:38 to 8:54
    - That long video clip at 9:32 can be sliced in parts and shortened.
    - When you show what's left of the leftovers, cut it off at 10.54, and then you can pan over the sink and talk about the clean dishes.
    - When you and your mom are talking to the camera at the end, you can trim part of that off at the beginning.
    - It would actually be cool if you took some of that audio, placed it over some different video footage (Maybe when you're panning over the leftovers and sink? Or if you have some footage of an empty dining area...just something different.) and then have the same audio of you and your mom talking with the video of you and your mom. That would be good, and I think that would be a nice way of ending it.
    - And, of course, credits!! :)

    GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I'm sorry this is so long!! I was trying to be really thorough and helpful! Didn't know it'd be that long, though...lol.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kathryn! Your right this was really thorough but also really helpful! I'm definitely going to use a lot of this :)

      Delete
  2. Good representation of your family's Thanksgiving, given in a kind of diary style. But yeah, I think some of the audio could be worked on a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,
    This was a great home movie. I'm assuming your not gonna enter it into any competitions right? You shot it very nicely, and it gave the film a home-y feel to it. I agree with Kathryn in terms of when you speak about the documentary in the film, that should probably be taken out. Additionally, the shot outside at the car is super blown out, if you can darken it up in final cut it will look much better. Other than that I think you did a great job, i think Kathryn said everything that needed to be fixed, and i would just be repeating it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this video lol just the back and forth between everyone is great. It's a home movie so I don't have any trouble with the camera work. "You do not go around without your face on." This video is genius. Fix your export settings though because it's all squished. Export it 1920x1080 progressive at 24fps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot how long it is though, I would cut out some of the lesser needed stuff even though it is all pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how personal this is! I think since Thanksgiving is such a personal and family-oriented event, it really fits that this is autobiographical in nature and not a super formal film. It allows for the audience to really connect with you and the other subjects on a more personal level. The only thing I would change is that some shots look slightly overexposed, but a little color correcting should be able to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that this documentary is personal in a very good way. just my opinion, i feel that some music, especially in the beginning. but this is just me. some of the outdoor shots are a little exposed but not a big problem. But the big and important details are good, such as direction, emotion, good use of cuts and presenting material that any American can relate to (ex, family!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this. Its very realistic and it seems personal. It doesn't matter that the camera is a little shaky or the audio quality is a bit off. Its real. Maybe add a little music and keep it real

    ReplyDelete